Monday, February 17, 2014

Are You Ready for a Challenge?

Yesterday I started a 24 day journey to not only weight loss, but to a healthy lifestyle transformation. To help jumpstart this expedition, I decided to take AdvoCare’s 24 Day Challenge. In an effort to document my progress, and to log a blow-by-blow review of the products and the Challenge itself, I decided to blog about the experience. I’m not going to lie, there are a lot of packets, pills, and overall “steps” in this Challenge. It’s really not all that complicated, but in an effort to do it right and not screw it all up, I decided to do something completely unlike me – I pre-planned and organized myself prior to the start!

The 24 Day Challenge is broken up into two phases: The Cleanse Phase, followed by the Max Phase. I am currently on the Cleanse Phase, and it is meant to do just that -  cleanse the body of toxins, while getting it ready for optimal absorption of healthy vitamins and nutrients. I decided to organize everything I would need into daily bags.  

Lets face it, I’m lucky I walk out the door with all three of my children let alone my lunch and such. If I was going to have any luck at doing this, I need to be on my A game. As of now, I’ve only pre-packed the first 10 days (I plan on organizing the last 14 tonight). It has made the entire process so much easier. I wake up in the morning and grab the appropriately labeled bag. Inside each bag are smaller bags, labeled breakfast, lunch, and dinner/bedtime. 

Now all I have to do is pull out the smaller bag I am looking for, and voila! I don’t have to worry about running late each morning because I am fumbling through boxes and instructions, looking for the right products. If you decide to do this, TRUST ME, pre-plan and make these packages. It might take a little while of your time, but it will save you HOURS in the long run!

Now on to the good stuff! I woke up with lots of excitement yesterday – waiting to start the program. I grabbed a glass of water and added a SPARK packet (Fruit Punch) to it. It tasted yummy and was a good pick me up in replacement of my beloved morning coffee. 30 minutes later I grabbed the packet for the fiber drink (Citrus) and anxiously added it to another glass of water. I was previously warned to make sure to drink it fast because the fiber will coagulate and become thick and unpleasant. I tried to chug it, and chug it quickly – but it was ROUGH. The Citrus flavor packet has a thick and “pulpy” texture. It was HARD to get down. I tried every trick in the book – holding my nose while quickly trying to get it down, silently praying that it would STAY down. I put on my big girl pants and got it down. I’d be lying if I told you I wasn’t having a little anxiety about drinking the fiber drink again the next day. I kept chanting the following mantra, “It’s only for a few days, it’s only for a few days. You can do this.” I’ve since been told that the Peaches and Cream is just lovely. Good to know for next time. I digress. I then had breakfast – a hard-boiled egg with chickpeas (sorry, but I didn’t think to take a picture). I followed it with a banana as a late morning snack. I continued to drink water (you are supposed to take your weight and divide it in two, and drink that many ounces of water per day) – this is going to be the tough part for me. Approximately 30 minutes before lunch I had another SPARK water (this time Mandarin Orange – which was equally yummy). I had a delicious salad consisting of baby spinach, quinoa, and a hard-boiled egg for lunch.  

I had a handful of nuts for an afternoon snack, and a hearty grilled chicken, avocado, and bean salad for dinner, accompanied by two Omegaplex tablets. I actually think I ate and drank more yesterday than I have in a LONG time. Right before bed, I popped the herbal cleanse pills. And just like that – I survived the first day!

Today I woke up and frantically realized that 1) I never took before pictures and measurements, and 2) that I was going to have to endure the fiber drink again. I quickly snapped some pictures and tried to conjure up some ways to make the fiber drinking experience more pleasurable. Scratch that. Conjure up a way to get the fiber drink down without hurling it right back up. I decided to mix it in the blender this time. And guess what? IT WORKED!!! Who knew? The key is to make sure it is MIXED WELL. AND to chug it down as quickly as possible! Surprisingly, it actually was quite pleasant this time. It really was like drinking oj with pulp. What a relief! I won’t bore you with my daily meals today, but I’m right on track, I’m not feeling hungry, and I feel pretty good!

Here’s praying that this journey goes as smoothly once I go back tomorrow. And more importantly that I can make it the 3 hours bathroom free before my lunch/prep while drinking all that water! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment